30 September 2026

Books Completed in September 2026

I'm sorry I'm so lagged on these. I have so much other stuff to do, and I'm tired more these days.

book icon  The Horse: A Galloping History of Humanity, Timothy C. Winegard
Basically the history of human civilization as chronicled by the taming and use of the horse, starting as a food item and then use as a riding and work animal. Broadly and interestingly told.

The second book I've read that has made me glad that I never ran into any Assyrians and Scythians. Bloodthirsty civilizations.

book icon  The Muse of Maiden Lane, Mimi Matthews
Fourth and final of the "Belles of London" series, featuring Stella Hobhouse, whose hair went grey when she was quite young. In an art gallery, she comes to the attention of artist Teddy Hayes, who has been confined to a wheelchair after a severe case of scarlet fever. Hayes wants to paint her; Stella knows her straitlaced minister brother would never allow it. Even worse, her brother's trying to marry her off now that he's engaged to a woman who despises Stella.

Matthews writes a happy ending for the last single lady in her Victorian quartet.

Stella's brother is singularly infuriating, and I hoped he and his fiance would drive off a bridge.

book icon  Route 1: New England, Dan Tobyne
A beautiful color gift book of the six New England states, and interesting tourist attractions and places to eat along the old Route 1, "the Boston Post Road" in some areas. I grew up off Route 1 and still dream of home.

book icon  Mrs. Porter Calling, A.J. Pearce
In this third of the Emmy Lake chronicles, Emmy is still working at "Women's Friend" magazine and sharing a home with her best friend Bunty while her husband Charles serves during World War II. Shortly after the story begins, Emmy and Bunty take in Thelma, a woman whose husband is also in Europe fighting, and her three children, George, Margaret, and Stanley. They have a Victory Garden and start raising chickens.

Then the publisher of "Women's Friend" dies, and the management goes to Mrs. Cressida Porter. At first the staff is thrilled that Mrs. Porter is bringing new ideas, until the "new ideas" turn out to be fashion articles and stories about wealthy garden parties rather than the advice needed to endure the war.

I loved the story, but selfish and self-absorbed Mrs. Porter made me so angry I found it hard to endure the book.

book icon  Galloping Around the Cosmos: Memories of TV's "Wagon Train to the Stars" from Today's Grown-Up Kids, edited by Jim Beard
Short essays from 25 writers about how they found the Star Trek universe and how it influenced them. Especially if you are an original fan of the series from back in the 1960s, this will be nostalgic and bring back fond memories of evenings in front of the television.

book icon  The X-Files Origins: Agent of Chaos, Kami Garcia
This is one of two young adult novels about Fox Mulder and Dana Scully in their younger years. In this one, Mulder, age 18, just having moved to Virginia and in a contentious relationship with his unforgiving father, teams up with his best friend "Gimble," a neglected boy whose Air Force officer father has gone off the deep end after the death of his wife, delving deep into conspiracy theories. A missing little girl, taken just like his sister Samantha, piques his interest, and soon his best friend from home, Phoebe, arrives to help the two boys track down the kidnapper.

The book is nonstop action, although I was skeptical how Phoebe's parents just allowed her to fly to Virginia and spend time alone with an 18-year-old boy with no supervision!

book icon  Enchantment, Katherine May
This was May's story of breaking away from her personal fears during and following the COVID lockdown. She had trouble sleeping, couldn't concentrate to read, and had difficulties with relationships while she raised a young son and supported an ill husband.

Personally, I liked Wintering better.

book icon  The Little Prince, Antoine De Saint-Exupery
I had never read this book. It's sweet and imaginative, but I probably came to it too late. I did like the Little Prince's friendship with the Fox.


No comments: