27 October 2017

Friday Morning at the Book Sale

It's that time of the year again; Friends of the Library Book Sale time again!

It was actually a little late this year, due to a change in venue. Previously the sales have been held in the outbuildings at Jim Miller Park, but this year the buildings are being renovated in preparation for next year's North Georgia County Fair. So the sale was held at the Cobb County Civic Center, which underwent a renovation a year or two back now, and we haven't been there for ages (especially since they don't have the computer shows there anymore). It's pretty swank where it was getting to be pretty seedy. I remember the meeting rooms at the back having paint flaking off the walls and collapsing ceilings. Now there's a box office out front and a foyer with a concession stand and some tables and chairs to enjoy your food and drink. Bathrooms are clearly marked up front and the stairways are now nice and wide. Of course they've replaced all the lights with LEDs. Very bright and very disconcerting.

Downstairs it was very well laid out, with room between the tables enough for a wheelchair. Upstairs, where the paperback fiction and the children's fiction was was a bit more crowded. The children's section was pretty much cheek-by-jowl, but I squeezed through. Sadly, no Happy Hollisters books in sight. I did find a Jean Little book, Mine for Keeps, about a little girl with cerebral palsy, and a dog. The rest of the tally:

book icon  Christmas Decorations from Williamsburg

book icon  A Christmas Carol Christmas Book (based on the George C. Scott version)

book icon  Chicken Soup for the Soul Treasury for Kids

book icon  Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Book of Christmas Virtues

book icon  Christmas in My Heart #12

book icon  Between Heaven and Mirth (by Father Martin)

book icon  The Olive Season by Carol Drinkwater from All Creatures Great and Small (a sequel to her The Olive Farm)

book icon  Save Room for Pie by Roy Blount Jr (since I couldn't find Alphabetter Juice)

book icon  Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz

book icon  Edward and Alexandra (since I'm a sucker for anything about "Bertie")

book icon  Norman Rockwell, Illustrator (which I've wanted for ages)

book icon  and, sadly, only one Longmire book, As the Crow Flies probably because I was dumb enough not to check the "J" fiction immediately; I always go to "T" first to make sure the library isn't getting rid of Mrs. Daffodil or there aren't any other Gladys Taber books

I figure I'd give myself a treat and had a doughnut; the usual, a chocolate frosted (which some Hallowe'en pervert had decorated with black and orange sprinkles). I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped. James and I have been on low-sugar, low-salt so long that most sweets just don't hold charms for me anymore. Dark chocolate would have been better.

Even with all the books in the trunk, I stopped by the Smyrna Library to look at their perpetual book sale, where I found

book icon  The Parrot Who Owns Me

book icon  Venice Simplon Orient Express (a great book about how they reinstated the infamous "Orient Express"

No comments: