28 September 2013

A to Z Book Survey

Author(s) I’ve Read the Most Books From:  Madeleine L'Engle. I have her fiction and nonfiction as well. I love her nonfiction; I read it when I am feeling spiritually bereft. Gladys Taber comes close in numbers, as does Jim Butcher (the Dresden books, not the sword and sorcery ones).

Best Sequel Ever: Wow. Probably Clouds of Witness, because, while Whose Body? isn't bad, I don't think it will ever be on anyone's list of best Lord Peter Wimsey books. But Clouds...the whole Wimsey family...the moors...the mire...the Soviet Club... the silver sand and the ipecac...the motorcycle...Grimethorpe...all there with pretty paper on it.

Currently Reading: Autumn: A Spiritual Journey (a collection of essays). (And still in the middle of About Time, Volume 7.)

Drink of Choice While Reading: Skim milk, but that's my drink of choice for every occasion. If I'm feeling capricious, I'll add coffee syrup to it (a very Rhode Islander thing to do).

E-Reader or Physical Book?: Oh, physical book, definitely, but e-read very handy for vacations. I don't have to carry a bag of books with me anymore.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Dated in High School: Calvin O'Keefe in A Wrinkle in Time. Kip Russell in Have Spacesuit Will Travel. Maybe John Austin from Meet the Austins, et. al.

Glad You Gave This Book a Chance: The Poisoner's Handbook. I found it on the dollar table at ::sob:: Borders. Thought it might be creepy. Yes, but still fascinating.

Hidden Gem Book: Wyoming Summer. It's Mary O'Hara's narrative, taken from her diaries from several summers, of life on the Wyoming ranch she owned with her second husband, known as "Michael" in the story. Based on her experiences she wrote the three Ken McLaughlin novels, My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, and Green Grass of Wyoming, but this is a lovely book all on its own, partially about her life on the range and the animal life and the weather, partially about music and what it meant to her, a little bit spiritual, but not preachy. Shimmering imagery and language.

Important Moment in Your Reading Life: When Judy Martini recommended A Wrinkle in Time to me in junior high school and led me to Madeleine L'Engle. Bless you, girl.

Just Finished: On Looking by Alexandra Horowitz. Enjoyed it but glad I didn't pay full price. :-)

Kind of Books I Won't Read: Horror. True crime. Most chick-lit. (Isn't true life horrible enough without reading about marital infidelity, divorce, and spousal and child abuse?)
 
Longest Book I've Read: Gone With the Wind, I think. And I read that one in four days. Two of them were schooldays, too! (Sorry, Miss Licardi, but I was reading GWTW under the desk in your class. It was much more interesting than Algebra I....of course, watching paint dry is more interesting than algebra, so I guess that's not much of a compliment.)

Major Book Hangover Because: Well, I certainly had one after that marathon read of Gone With the Wind. :-)

Number of Bookcases I Own:  Well, if I count just the bookcases that I have my books in...uh...at least a dozen. But there are lots more bookcases in the house, some of which I share with my husband.

One Book I have Read Multiple Times:  Just one? 'Cause I have a long, long list... Okay, Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy.

Preferred Place to Read:  I've always talked about having a book nook in which to read, and there's a chair down in the library. But, really, it's too quiet and lonely. In the sofa, with James at the computer and Willow asleep in her chair...and, until last Thursday, Schuyler's birdcage set next to me on the sofa. (I miss my little girl...)

Quote that Inspires You/Gives You All the Feels from a Book You've Read:  It's not inspirational, but it has the most truth in it. "Happiness hangs by a hair," from Wyoming Summer.

Reading Regret:  "So many books, so little time." There's this pesky thing called "work" I need to do.

Series You Started and Need to Finish (all the books are out in the series):  Um...the Sisters Grimm. Need to read the particulars about that missing Grimm.

Three of Your All-Time Favorite Books:  Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy (I have all the books in one volume, so I'm counting it as one...so there). The Open Gate by Kate Seredy. And Little Women.

Unapologetic Fangirl For:  Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy. Everyone must, must read this. To me, it has made every other version of the Merlin story just a fairy story. Her Merlin is a real man, one I might bump into on the street, or in a bookstore, or on vacation. He's tangible; I could invite him to dinner.

Very Excited for This Release More Than All the Others:  Oh, gosh, I think it's the color photo book that's coming out with photos from the 1964 New York World's Fair. I went there as a kid and I still remember it as Magic.

Worst Bookish Habit: Riffling the corner of the pages.

X Marks the Spot (Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book):  Which shelf? Okay, since I'm at the computer and closest to the media books...The Hollywood Hall of Shame by Harry and Michael Medved.

Your Latest Book Purchase: Bone Quill, the second volume in the Barrowman siblings' series Hollow Earth. That just came in the mail yesterday.

ZZZZ-snatcher Book (book that kept you up WAY too late): Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman (the third Sally Lockhart book). I think I finished that at 2 a.m. On a work night. Oy.


Borrowed from Dani.

1 comment:

Cath said...

Completely agree with you about the Merlin trilogy. It's years since I read it but I was totally smitten by it.

Haven't tried the Barroman sibling's books but I'm quite a fan of his so I really need to make the effort. His 2 autobiographical volumes are quite good if you haven't read them.

Wyoming Summer sounds rather interesting, I will look that up.

Enjoyed your answers. (Here via A Work in Progress.)