19 July 2013

Committing Book

There's this evil, evil site.

It tells  you what book sales are being held at local libraries all around the country. A friend of mine reminded me of it last week on Facebook, and I noticed there was one at the Northside Library today. Most of the books were $1 except for certain volumes (like big picture books like the lighthouse book), and two were a quarter and 50 cents.

book icon  Boston Firsts (40 of them!)
book icon  Sprezzatura: 50 Ways Italian Genius Shaped the World
book icon  A Charmed Life: The Spirituality of Potterworld
book icon  So Far From Home (a "Dear America" about an Irish mill girl in Lowell)
book icon  What's the Number for 911? (a bathroom book)
book icon  Twentieth-Century Girl (basically a "Dear America" book from Great Britain, and written by Carol Drinkwater from All Creatures Great and Small)
book icon  My Love Affair With England: A Traveler's Memoir
book icon  The Child That Books Built: A Life in Reading by Francis Spufford
book icon  Colonial America: A Traveler's Guide (Colonial sites you can visit, with large dollops of history)
book icon  Queen of Shaba, Joy Adamson book about an African leopard
book icon  This England, a collection of "National Geographic" articles
book icon  Stories Behind Everyday Things, one of the "Reader's Digest" compilation books I so love
book icon  Lighthouses of New England (aw, how could I resist? especially with a full color photo of Point Judith Light at night)

and a lovely book, brand new, that I won't even mention, because it incorporates two things a friend of mine loves, and I plan to give it as a gift.

Since I had (a) a Barnes & Noble 20 percent off coupon and (b) was just a hop, skip and a jump from the Buckhead store, I went there. I found several likely prospects, including the paperback copy of Thieftaker (I was at one of the author's panels last year at DragonCon), but bought The Diaries of Nella Last, which I'd read about on a book blog in the past. These are the edited diaries of a British woman during World War II and afterward during the austerity period.

Plus when I got home, the book I found on Amazon for only $5 with shipping, Autumn: A Spiritual Biography, had arrived.

So many books. So little time.

No comments: