03 August 2012

New American Girl Book Set

A new American Girl series arrives in September! The girl is Caroline Abbott, and she lives in Sacketts Harbor, New York, on the shores of Lake Ontario, during the War of 1812. Kathleen Ernst, the author, talks about the book on her web site.

Pretty cool that the series commemorates the War of 1812 on its 200th anniversary.

I find it amusing that I'm excited about the books when most of the other sites that I have looked at talking about the new character, whether by girls or by women, are focusing on the doll that goes with the books, not the books themselves. I guess I just will never be into dolls. :-)

Well...maybe if they have a red-headed one in an interesting decade. I'd love to see an Italian girl growing up in some Italian neighborhood in the 1950s...saddle shoes, poodle skirts, the works! Or something taking place in the 1920s. Perhaps a girl crossing the prairie in the 1870s or in a growing Western town of the 1880s? A colonial girl (late 1600s-early 1700s) not in the usual settings (Salem, Plymouth, or Virginia), but somewhere in the Middle Colonies. No one ever treats that period in that setting.

1 comment:

Emma said...

I'll take a 50s girl, a 20s girl, or a Wild West miss myself. While I probably will read Caroline's books because I come from a nautical family myself, this is one doll who holds no interest to me. She's beautiful, but I'm not that big of a fan of the time period. :)