12 January 2004

Setting Up for DaVinci

I'd have to be on a desert island not to notice the popularity of Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code.

But I usually don't pay attention to best-sellers until my friends start talking about them.

This doesn't always work out for me. In high school days my best friend raved about Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy and bought me the three-book paperback set for Christmas one year. Sorry to say I did not get past the first chapter in the first book. Much later in my life friends tried to get me hooked on Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books. Again, I couldn't get past the first couple of chapter in the first book, although I adore the Adept novels she has co-written with Deborah Turner Harris.

However, our friends recommending this newest bestseller advised me to start with the DaVinci prequel, Angels and Demons, before starting on it, as it introduces the lead male character. Their descriptions of both books sounded rather chilling. Well, I've started Angels and Demons and don't know what to think. I do want to know what happens next, but I don't find the whole thing so scary as everyone says. Maybe I'm not far enough into it? I'm also not an American that thinks Americans "invented" the Web. I know about Tim Berners-Lee and CERN.

Perhaps I just need to get past the expositionary material.

No comments: